<VV> Re :Crossmember/transmission support

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:09:27 -0400

> >Chuck S
> >On Behalf Of Tony Underwood
> >>The rear crossmember is actually the same for 3spd and Powerglide. 
> 4spd is different.  So, you'll need the transmission support for a 4spd

Smitty says:  I feel so futile.  I feel used.  I feel unappreciated.  I
fought that nomenclature battle a few months ago and even got a couple of
guys mad at me. (heaven forbid).  People sure got short memorys. 
Crossmember: the big iron thing that goes across the car from wheel to
wheel.  Transmission support: The smaller iron thing (usually black) that
goes from motor mount to motor mount.
        May I suggest to Brian that if he cuts a relief in the rear of a
3sp crossover, that he weld in a closure to the opening to put the
strength back.  Flexing of the crossmember is a given and wierd steering
will result.