<VV> Seats/Safety

Eric S. Eberhard flash@vicspdi.com
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:50:56 -0700

Bill makes a good point -- there is no way in the world to make a Corvair
(or any 40 year old car) as safe as a modern car.  Top modern cars have 4
channel ABS, traction control, stability control, front, side, and curtain
airbags, sensors in the seats to control the force of the bags, superior
seat belt design, better crush zones, and so forth.  Attempting to improve
safety on the Corvair is problematic without the proper engineering.  It is
easier to recognize that the Corvair is inherently less safe and drive
accordingly.  I keep my speeds down, especially in bad weather or corners,
I keep huge following distances, and so forth.  Doing these things in any
car will improve safety more than anything done to the car.  After all, if
you don't get into an accident you don't need seat belts and air bags ...
accident avoidance is the first line of safety.

At 04:42 AM 8/24/2004, Bill Hubbell wrote:
>Oh, I am not offended by people making changes to their Corvairs, but I do
>get bothered when people try to claim modern day safety standards and
>practices to the changes.  Today's cars go through rigorous design and
>testing phases to arrive at their ability to offer protection.  Adding
>components of modern safety equipment to old cars does not have the same
>methodology, and the results cannot be assumed to be the same. Remember,
>once you start modifying a car you are moving away from the researched and
>tested design, and the end product may or may not be safer than the
>original.  Unless you are able to put your car through the same testing
>procedures (doubtful), at best you can only guess as to the safety
>"benefit" of the changes.
>
>That is all I was trying to say.
>
>Bill Hubbell
>

>----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Upham" <contactsmu@sbcglobal.net>

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off when I
sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html