<VV> Serving more than one master! Cylinder.

LonzoVair@aol.com LonzoVair@aol.com
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:26:26 EDT

In a message dated 8/24/2004 6:53:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
flash@vicspdi.com writes:
>Eric:
>If you have a rear axle problem on your '62, you have NO brakes, NO
>down shift, and NO parking brake.  Ask around on VV and elsewhere
>just how that feels.
>
>JMHO, Bill Loftin

Eric,
I'm with Bill on this one. Thats how I got my 64 700 sedan last winter for
just $300... the rear wheel bearing came apart while the guy was driving... the
wheel took the drum off the shoes and the axle out of the differential... all
he could do was coast to a stop on the side of the road. Thank heavens he was
heading up a slight incline.
I offered to fix the car, but he wanted to sell it. I asked him if he'd ever
noticed any noise, and he said "yeah, a little".... I had to replace both rear
bearings after buying it... and I drove it all over the place in Lexington
during the convention... not a bad little car, strong little 95hp engine (had
Ben Stiles with me on the way to the VV meeting and we were doing about 90 on
I-75 from the Horse Park to exit 115.... now THAT was fun!)... I rarely take it
over 75 MPH if I drive it on the freeway... I was just showing off to a
buddy... thats all.
Anyway, keep Bills words in the back of your head... it CAN happen, asteroid
or not.
Later,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair, Derby City Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier pg, daily driver
1963 Greenbrier 4spd.
1964 700 sedan 95/pg