<VV> HELP (Saving a 4dr)

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:21:05 EDT

Welcome!  Your desire to "save" a good Corvair from the crusher is laudable
and you'll find that to be a common trait of Corvairists.  You didn't mention
the year, transmisison, or condition of the car you are considering and that
matters a little.

I always evaluate a purchase by dividing the car into three "zones":
Interior, mechanical, and body.  If only one zone is bad, that's a good sign.  If two
zones are bad, be careful.  If all three zones are bad, you might want to
reconsider your plans.  In Corvairs, a good runnning engine is a God-send.  You
can easily spend $2500+ to get a good running engine.  Next is the body.  While
paint doesn't have to be real expensive (Range $300 to $5000), body work is
pretty expensive just about anyway you go.  The interior is the least expensive
repair.  You can fix that up for about $1000 if you buy all new stuff and
install it yourself.  If you do a little swapping an scrounging, you could fix
that up for a fraction of that.  If the motor is really good (stick shift adds a
gold star to the comment), you might consider tooling the 4dr around until you
find a nice 2dr body that needs a powertrain.  (I don't know where you are
but..) In the west where I live, there is an ample supply of good cars with dead
powertrains.  Spending exactly the same money on a 2dr will return lots more
of you investment than a 4dr would.
Craig Nicol

<snip>In Corvairs, My name is Jason Cesana and I just sighned up for
membership yesterday. Im
thinking of saving a 4 door monza from the boneyard. the owner of the yard
told me it runs great and needs brakes. The body is pretty decent with some
rot throughs. I was wondering if it is to difficult to restore these cars. I
have always wanted one and the selling price is 400.00 so its hard to pass
up.<unsnip>