<VV> (VV) Corvair Safety

Arjay Morgan n3lkz@yahoo.com
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:45:25 -0700 (PDT)

I've been reading the thread(s) about Corvair safety
under a couple of different headings, and I'd like to
contribute this little story for what it's worth.

I've only had one serious accident and that was in a
Corvair.

It was a dark and stormy night around Christmas in
Northeastern Pennsylvania and I was coming home from a
Christmas party in my Monza convertable.

At speed, maybe above speed, I missed the turn into my
road, shot off the highway, became airborne above a
creek, slammed into the side of a bridge spanning said
creek and dropped 20 feet straight down into the
creek. I was probably not wearing my seat belt.

When I came to I exited the car, waded the not-so-deep
creek, climbed the bank, walked to my apartment and
looked at the damage. Big cut on my forehead with lots
of blood, but hell, I was drunk and so I went to bed.

Next morning the cops came, beat on my door, woke me
up, asked embarassing questions which I wouldn't
answer and took me to the hospital for some stitching.
Car was pulled out of the creek by a tow truck who did
more damage than the bridge.

I think they gave me a ticket for something like
littering a public waterway (Pennsylvania has some
queer laws).

The point of all this is this: The car saved my life.
Its front crumpled so I didn't have to. The soft top
didn't even rip even tho I tried mightily to put my
head through it.  It did not roll over, it was true to
its cat-like nature and landed on all four paws.

If I had it all to do over again I'd do it in a
Corvair, and that's why I don't hesitate to drive my
current Child of the Breed on present-day highways at
present-day speeds. Yes, I'm careful, but not because
I fear my Corvair....it's because I fear for my
Corvair in light of the hordes of Bozos with whom I
share the highways.

Thanks for listening,
Arjay Morgan
64 Monza Convert.