<VV> Corvair Article in Print

Western Canada CORSA westerncanadacorsa@shaw.ca
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:14:06 -0800

This article raises a couple of issues regarding the EM 'vairs and Unsafe At
Any Speed that I'd like to see debated/refuted/confirmed by the knowledgable
folks here on <VV> (Mr. Helt are you here?)

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/Stories/0,1413,106~4988~2540713,00.html

<snip>
Gerry Martel, in the Automotive section, ascribes problems with the Corvairs
from 1960 through 1964 as problems with the drivers, not with the car.

In his defense of the Corvair, Mr. Martel cites the fact that today's SUV's
are top-heavy and tend to tip when cornered too fast.

I'm sure with his "engineering" background, he can excuse a vehicle which had
the highest number of roll over accidents of any automobile built from 1960
through 1964 although it also had the lowest center of gravity (it was anti
top-heavy) of any sedan built in that period.
<end 1st snip>

So, did the '60-64 'vairs have the highest number of rollover accidents of any
vehicle built during this period?  Where does this come from, or is this guy
talking out of his butt?

<snip>
The original swing axle could tilt so far in a corner that the sidewalls, not
the thread, provided the only rear contact with the road.
<end 2nd snip>

true, not true?

<snip>
Without the Corvair, we would still have Ernie Kovacs. We would also have the
brother of a fellow soldier of mine who was killed in 1964 in a rollover with
a Corvair.
<end 3rd snip>

Great annecdotal evidence (=meaningless) but were their other contributing
factors in Ernie Kovacs fatal accident (read: alcohol/drugs?)

<snip>
Mr. Martel probably discovered in his "research" for that article the fact
that 11 children of GM executives were killed in that automobile.
<end 4th snip>

I've never come across this information before either, while still only
annecdotal, is it true?  Or just more butt talk?

Regards,
Joel