<VV> Re: Corvair article

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 14:15:56 -0800

> From: Western Canada CORSA <westerncanadacorsa@shaw.ca>
> Subject: RE: <VV> Corvair Article in Print

> This article raises a couple of issues regarding the EM 'vairs and
Unsafe At
> Any Speed that I'd like to see debated/refuted/confirmed by the
knowledgable
> folks here on <VV> (Mr. Helt are you here?)

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/Stories/0,1413,106~4988~2540713,00.h
tml

-------------------------------------
Smitty says:  Oh My Gosh Joel.  Why didn't you just come on here and say
all Corvair owners are Perverts if you wanted to create some message
traffic.
        As an autocrosser of stock Earlies and having been involved in
that Sport(?) since the early 70s I would say a Corvair is almost
impossible to turn over without some outside force being imposed on it.
As per the GM testing program where they tinkered with tire pressures and
eventually had to create a locking device on a front wheel to get one to
turn over.  Earnie Kovack was reported to be not only drunk but also
trying to light a cigar when he caused his accident.  I had a shop forman
who was killed by a Corvair.  He was drunk and drove off into a field of
freshly cut tree stumps at an estimated 100 mph.  Damn car killed him.
15 years ago my wife turned MY 64 convertible over.  She entered a 30 mph
turn at about 60 mph and after banging the car repeatedly into the median
Jersey wall it turned over.  People in the opposing lane said they saw
the entire floor of the car twice.  Lousy automotive design.
        The control arm/sidewall thing is true but only under special
conditions.  Underinflated tires being the most common.  Even that
doesn't mean a rollover.  What happens then is that the loss of tire
adhesion causes terminal oversteer.  The assend passes the frontend.
        I have only been Vairing since 69 and have only read every word
on Corvairs I could get my hands on in that time.  I never heard that
statement about kid deaths.  Yes I are one of them Preverts.  A Corvair
Prevert.