<VV> Re: Creeper, Lift

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:22:04 EST

Yes, Bob.  The pad type lifts make it easier to get at things underneath but
can be dangerous in the situation you describe where all four pads are not in
contact. However, the another big issue is weight distribution.  I worked as a
mechanic and saw a coworker nearly killed by a pickup truck.  He placed the
front lift pads on the frame behind the front wheels.  Enough of the weight was
behind these pads to allow the truck to go up but once he started hanging off
of a breaker bar up front, the back went up.  The truck would have come off
if the back hadn't hit a tire rack that was hung from the roof.  The boss sent
the guy home to change his shorts.  Another time I saw a near accident in a
Ford dealership's shop.  They had a strange lift that had two cylinders in the
floor which were controlled by two levers.  The mechanic set the pads and was
pushing both levers to lift the car and started yacking with another guy.
Apparently he was pushing one lever more than the other because the rear of the
car was rising faster than the front.  I yelled across the shop at him and he
corrected the situation before it came off.  I am surprised it didn't.  Oddly,
he gave me a really dirty look.  How could a mere customer have the nerve to
embarrass him in front of his coworkers?  Anyway, with so much weight in the
rear of our Corvairs, is it possible to have a similar problem if the pads are
poorly placed?  Keep in mind that it may seem stable until you start torquing on
something and disturbing the balance.

Doc