<VV> Re: Ernie Kovacs (was: Corvair article)

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Fri, 03 Dec 2004 10:06:41 -0800

At 06:17 hours 12/01/2004 -0500, Rick & Janet Norris wrote:
>HERE'S A ME TOO POST!!!
>I still crack up watching the Nairobi Trio skits.
>
>Rick Norris
>

>> I am a Corvair enthusiast and an enthusastic Ernie Kovacs fan.

Who remembers the skit with the file cabinets dancing to the tune of
"Sentimental Journey"?

It appears that the show was among the first wave of networked programs
that were shot and archived on videotape.    It's my understanding that
Ernies widow went to great lengths to make sure that as many of these old
videotapes as possible (recorded on big mean "Quad" machines on 2" wide RR
tape) were preserved.   They're still around, copied onto modern video
media and are likely available or soon will  be available on DVD...  which
is rapidly becoming the medium of choice for retail sales of classic TV
programs/series with more and more popping up on the shelves each day...
IMHO it's a matter of time before Ernie and his cigar show up in force on
DVD, if he hasn't already... I need to go check stores again.

It is indeed unfortunate that this man left us too soon.   He would have
gone on to become one of the true greats in entertainment and an even
bigger legend than he is now.   Hell, half of what's regarded as comedy
today Kovacs started.   The guy was a revolutionary.

"That man is either crazy or a genius, or both."   --- neighbor's comments
on Kovacs overheard when I was a child

tony..