<VV> CORSA add

Dave Morris BigD@DaveMorris.com
Fri, 03 Dec 2004 10:39:35 -0600

PSRUs are common aircraft whose engines run best at high RPMs.  It reduces
the engine RPM down to where a prop can run at a lower speed in order to
prevent the prop tips from going supersonic.  The Rinker PSRU was an early
attempt to see how one might convert a Corvair engine for aircraft
use.  Nowadays, virtually everybody putting a Corvair engine on their
airplane is doing a direct-drive prop (a special hub bolts onto the crank
gear) with an OT-10 cam to bring the useful torque down into the 3100 RPM
range where we don't need the PSRU.  It saves a lot of weight, complexity,
and reliability problems.

Dave Morris
Dragonfly aircraft with Corvair 110 engine