<VV> Was Creeper, now zoning laws

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 16:32:24 EST

I used to live in a fancy neighborhood (Manhattan Beach, CA), where I could
have easily run afoul with my neighbors. I took a proactive approach to keeping
the neighbors happy and it went like this: 1) Whenever possible, I had my
"under restoration car" in a closed garage even though this meant my nicer cars
were out.  2) After purchasing an old car, I would take it directly to the body
shop (as in same day) - the neighbors would never see it in it's ugly state
and never saw an old jalopy they could ruminate over. 3) For any car that was
less than nice, if I couldn't put it in the garage, I a nice car cover on it in
the driveway every night it was outside.  The hardest part was #2; getting it
painted immediately - this wasn't always the most efficient route but it did
have the beneficial side effect of my always working on a "nice car that
doesn't run" rather than slaving away on an ugly heap.
This little three-point policy kept me out of trouble there for over 10
years.  Now, I live in the woods on 10 acres - but the habit is set and things look
nice all the time without pressure from the neighbors.
Craig