<VV> Winter Storage Tips

Bowtie Guy bowtieguy@cox.net
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 12:50:09 -0800

Bob Vukas
bowtieguy@cox.net

I am not a mechanic but I pumped enough gas growing up in Minnesota to learn a
few tricks for winter storage. Winter is not just a season but a way of life
and you develop a mindset as to how to cope.

1. Change the oil to a 5W30 or 0W30.
2. Air up the tires.
3. Fill the tank with gas,one bottle of Iso Heet and the appropriate amount of
Sta-bil.
4. Wash the car inside and out.
5. Give the paint a good coat of wax.
6. Clean and protect the metal surfaces with wax or an appropriate metal
cleaner. I use Flitz.
7. Clean and protect all vinyl and rubber. This includes the weather-stripping
of the doors, trunk and hood,as well as the door bumpers.
8. Clean the glass inside (Bon Ami) and outside (Glass Wax).
9. Buy a good car cover and cover up your investment.
10. Start the car twice a month and let it run till it warms up.
11. Don't start the car but hook it up to a Battery Tender to keep the battery
charged.
12. Make sure the windshield washer reservoir and Opti-kleen bottle are filled
with the lowest below zero protection windshield wash available. If you can't
find a good one add Prestone Windshield Deicer to your blue fluid.
13. Watch the Speed Channel or hibernate till spring.

Bob Vukas