<VV> Re: [fastvair] Cam duration

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 13:20:24 EST

In a message dated 12/5/04 11:01:36 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
sethracer@aol.com writes:

> And for many years, Chevrolet was the worst offender. They listed all their
>
> cams from zero lift, since that was their engineering standard. Admittedly,
> it
> allowed grinders a bunch of lattitude in building "Factory Stock" cheater
> cams, since they could use all kinds of different ramp designs and stay
> within the
> "factory" duration! The industry standard today really has become .050 -
> because it is pretty easy to tell the exact moment a dial indicator passes
> .050 -
> pretty hard to tell exactly when it begins to move. - Seth

For everybody's information, My book THE CLASSIC CORVAIR, has a table that
gives the LM Corvair factory cam specs at 0.050 inch lift. This info is not
available anyplace else. It will allow you to compare stock cams to aftermarket
ones.
Regards,
Bob Helt