<VV> Frank Finally Answers about Sockets

Patten Del R Civ AFRL Det 8/PKMA del.patten@kirtland.af.mil
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:30:10 -0000

  I bought what sounds like the same thing as a Chrysler socket...it too had
the tab but I didn't use it...MUCH better than the stock socket that is
available...even the ones sold new by the vendors are crap...I think the
tooling must be completely shot.  No problems with the Chrysler
sockets...and since the car is part Plum Crazy, using it rather than the
F**D socket makes perfect sense!

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of FrankCB@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2004 10:52 AM
To: dsjkling@sbcglobal.net; virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Frank Finally Answers about Sockets

Dan,
    Sorry I didn't notice your message to me sooner.  Next time put in a
subject line that will get my attention.
    Looking at the Calterm package as I write this the number it shows is
08543.  They call it a "Ford Socket with Ground Tab".  And it DEFINITELY has
TWO
contacts for a dual filament bulb (like the 1057 Corvair tail/stop light)
plus
a separate grounding wire connected to the metal socket.  This socket is
nearly ALL metal so it is much better than a NEW Corvair stock one.  I
bought 8 of
these from various suppliers.  No, I'm not installing 8 taillights, only 4.

The other 4 are for son Jim who already has 4 Corvair sockets for 4
tail/stop
lights.  In fact, that was the main problem we had with the Purple
Corsavertible when we started our long drive to Lexington, KY.  Various
tail/stop lights
kept going on and off every time we hit a bump (heavy duty springs don't
help(:-)  At least if you have 2 lights on each side you have a better
chance that
1 of them will activate when needed.
    I believe R S Strauss carries them around here in northern NJ but I
don't
know if they are in California.  You might try a Google search for an online

source.
    Let me know how it works out.
    Frank "better late then never" Burkhard

In a message dated 11/16/04 10:33:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,