<VV> Re: Finds we've found i.e. Sex, Drugs, Rock n Roll......

Dan & Synde dsjkling@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 21:53:39 -0800

Well, when I bought my 63 Spyder I ran into a number of things that ended up
causing me to strip the interior and give it a bleach bath once I got it
home.  I was able to get it running, the brakes worked and I put air in the
tires.  I got a permit to move from the DMV and went to drive it home.
After about 1/2 block, I realized that I would be trailering it the rest of
the way.  The PO failed to tell me that the carrier bearings were completely
shot in the differential, instead letting me find this out the hard way by
letting me try to drive it away.  When stepping on the gas or brake, the
rear end of the car would hop up and down violently, hence "rock-n-roll".
The previous owner had said that it was his daughters car and that she used
it to get from place to place when she was working with a traveling circus.
I kid you not!  Well, I'm not sure what her job was but I found all kinds of
drug paraphernalia  like needles, pipes etc under the seats, carpet, dash.
trunk and just about any other place you could stash it.  I also found a
bunch of prophylactics in both states of use, a supply of lube....and not
the kind that should have been in the differential either.  The latter finds
are what prompted me to strip the interior and give it a bleach bath.
Eventually, the entire car was sandblasted to bare metal and a given a
complete "frame off" restoration.  I'm still working on giving it an engine
to this day.  My car had truly been to Pleasure Island before I rescued it
from it's seedy past.  I guess the tiny back seat area wasn't much of a
deterrent............

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89 stump puller :)
1963 Spyder, 4spd Saginaw, 3.55