<VV> re:engine gaskets

tom zimmermann s10birdman1966@yahoo.com
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 07:59:52 -0800 (PST)

Ron,IMHO -if the pan and valve covers are straight,any "sealant" may cause leaks.For silicone to 'seal', it needs an oil-free surface,and you'll be wiping oil drips forever.I don't like cork, especially for the pan,but if you do,just put a thin layer on the pan as an adhesive-an even "stipple",nearly transparent applied with a gloved finger.Clean the pan bolts,apply silicone or 518 gasket eliminator to the threads ---sparingly--- to keep them from loosening. I just use a socket and 6" xtension (no ratchet) to snug the bolts.A little silicone on the block-to- bell gasket edge would be OK...FWIW, i've torn down a bad 140 that had a lot of orange bits in the pan and oil system,so "don't go nutz" with silicone !!..Tom