<VV> Re State Inspection Wars

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:19:16 -0800

Smitty says:  We have a resolution.  I met the Troopers this morning.
Took a pile of manuals and the Jan 84 Communique  with Larry Claypool's
explanation of the Early swing arm/shock problem.  We discussed all
aspects of my complaint and I won a point or too and actually lost
nothing.  On the lug torque issue they hammered the inspectior for not
having a torque stick for 7/16 studs.  He was tightening everything to 80
lbs.  On the shocks extending below the control arm with spacers above
the shock fork they deternined that was not a suspension modification and
advised him to make more intelligent subjective decisions and not get
carried away for minor stuff.  For beating on the drum/hub with a sledge
they gave him a written repremand.  When I mentioned that he had not
checked the master cyl fluid level he said ,"oh yes I did"  I asked him
what key he used.  He pointed to the ignition key.  Then I showed the
lock to the troopers which has its innards knocked out and you have to
use a screwdriver to open the trunk.  Just a small battle but it is on
record now and may help some Early owner in VA in the future using the
shocks that are available.
        Oh I have to mention that one of the troopers owns a VW bug and
is an enthusiast.  He thought we were some kind of kindred spirit.  I
don't see why.  I always thought anyone that drives an air cooled car
with a rear engine and swing arm suspension must be mentally defective.