<VV> Salamanders found inside Vairs

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 07 Dec 2004 18:06:04 -0800

At 03:52 hours 12/07/2004 -0500, Rick & Janet Norris wrote:
>> As a West Virginia native (WVa has more salamander species than anywhere
>> else) I can assure you that the comments should have been about
>> kerosene-fired amphipians rather than reptiles. Perhaps comments could
>> have
>> been made about the former congressman from GA, Mr Gingrich. Newts are a
>> close relative of salamenders.
>
>Well,
>As a West Virginian all I can say about them is...Thems good eatin! But it
>takes a lot of'em to get a good mess.

You need a couple of those salamanders that live in the headwaters of the
Amazon...   they're big enough to eat some of the rodent wildlife that
comes down to the water to drink.    And, they are ugly.

This brings up another addition to things found in Corvairs...

At one of the NC Fall Vair Affairs when they were held at Modern Chevy in
Winston-Salem, I was looking at an early model coupe from Florida,
extremely nice, elderly couple standing by it, door was standing open so I
spoke briefly to them about how nice the car was, thank you, we've had it a
long time etc...  so leaned down and supported myself with my right arm on
the door sill to look inside and a big green lizard about 9 inches long
leaped out from somewhere inside the car and landed on my arm.

I almost soiled myself.    The man said not to worry about it, "they're
harmless, got 'em all over the place where we live."   They told me to go
ahead and keep him if I wanted him, they had plenty...    so I snagged the
little dinosaur looking bastard and put him in a paper bag, ended up taking
him back home, gave him to the daughter of a buddy of mine who thought he
looked cute.

One of the RVCC guys (Dallas Mangus) said that if I didn't want the ugly
little beastie, he'd take it and feed it to his cat...  who evidently liked
lizard tar-tar.

Heh...  I hadn't thought about that ugly-ass lizard in a long time.

tony..    not too good looking myself