<VV> Re: State Inspections

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:54:47 -0800

Gary Said:
> Having a State inspection license for many years, I have seen my
> share of vehicles which were "death on wheels". And I have heard every
excuse
> in the book
-------------------snip------------------
Smitty says:  I am not that guy.  I always expect my Corvairs to pass.
Like I told the Trooper the other day.  I resent paying a fee to have
someone inspect my car that could study for a month and still know less
about it than I do.  If I am going to pay I expect to get my moneys
worth.  Two cases in point.  25 years ago my 16 year old daughter told me
she had got her car inspected (Corvair).  That morning I had seen brake
fluid on the inside of a front tire and planned to get to it that
evening.  I changed the brake cyl and shoes and the next day I took her
down to the station.  I got the inspector and explained with my finger in
his face thusly.  See that young woman out there? She is my daughter and
this is her car.  She paid you good money to inspect her car and you did
a half assed job.  I don't care how she looks with her pointy little
chest or how much she batts her eyelashes at you, you are getting paid to
inspect.  How well you do it may affect how much longer she lives.  You'd
better hope I don't have to come back here again.
        Another time I told an inspector to bring his wife down to the
station and loosen the lug nuts on the car.  I told him, if she couldn't
do it then how the hell could he expect my wife to do it out on some back
road with a flat tire some night.
        I don't fear those guys at all.  They have questioned some things
on my cars and they are right to do so when they are right.  If I
question what they say I ask to see "the book". Quite often they are
right.