<VV> Re: Jake-Leg repairs/Unsafe All the time

Taruffi57@aol.com Taruffi57@aol.com
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 23:40:36 EST

In a message dated 12/8/2004 12:00:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
virtualvairs-request@corvair.org writes:
he jacked the car up to check
the rattly front suspension and the upper spindle joint came OFF the A-arm
and the wheel just kinda flopped like a broken wing.   He carefully fitted
the ball back into the socket of the joint and put the car back down
How about this one.  I had a '65 Sunbeam Tiger which developed "dry" rack &
pinion.
Didn't have any money those days so I kept on driving it when it got to where
it would only turn right about 4 or 5 teeth on the rack.  It would then just
click over the worn teeth & the steering wheel would spin right but not turn
right any further.  Had to look ahead & plan my driving accordingly & had to
swing way wide & also back it up a few times to make right turns.  I got to
where I knew just how far right I could turn it & since I used to cruise south
Alabama & Miss. Gulf Coast highways to & from band gigs at night at over 100 mph,
I just kept on bookin'.  Finally got the rack rebuilt....no harm done.

Joe,
Florida
'64 Monza conv. PG A/C
'69 500 Coupe 140+ (street hi-po project started)