<VV> Re: Sound damping roof

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Thu, 09 Dec 2004 13:22:55 -0800

At 09:57 hours 12/09/2004 -0800, Bob Earls wrote:
>Hank, what's wrong with Dynamat?

It's not just expensive, it's extremely expensive.   And, there are similar
products out there for considerably less.   Dynamat has some competition
but you have to go chase it down.

Dynamat is marketed to the same folks who pay hundreds of bucks for large
capacitors for their stereo system's 12 volt lines, and gold plated fuse
boxes, and 6 bucks/foot glitter-insulated battery cable.    We sold Dynamat
along with those other "glitter" bling-things where I once worked (Southern
Autotronics)...  great moneymaker for the distributor.

It's basically simple sheet rubber with contact adhesive applied to one
side.    Some of the guys at work were really interested in quieting down
resonances in their cars (modern cars with very thin sheet metal) to keep
the "Stereo Boom" inside so as to avoid noise ordinance tickets from the
police...  but couldn't afford the bucks that Dynamat would have cost to
cover the areas they wanted to cover... so off to the local truckstop they
went, buying up truck tire inner tubes to slice up into sections, hit them
with commercial grade spray-on contact adhesive, and tack them into  place.
   Worked nicely and cost was close to diddly if you knew somebody at the
truck stop who would be more than willing to be rid of a heap of chewed up
inner tubes.

Of course, it wouldn't have those nifty diagonally stamped-on "DYNAMAT"
logos...  this is important for some of the gold fuse box crowd.

There's always a better way.   I myself don't really recommend much of the
stuff marketed to the boomcar consumers because so much of it is
overpriced.

>best.  There's 2 types: Original Dynamat and Extreme Dynamat.  The extreme
has
>an aluminum sheeting that also assists as a heat barrier.  Either style, it's
>worth it.

I think that Ford (?) sells a similar material...  at least that's what I
was told  by someone who said he bought it from the local Ford dealership
to insulate and deaden the engine bay firewall of a Jeep or some such 4WD
he had that always made his feet hot from the heat radiating from under the
dash or something.

Hank, do you know anything about this stuff, wrinkly foil covered rubbery
stuff sticky on the back?

tony..