<VV> Rarity and Value.

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:40:58 -0500

There is some truth to your position, but you're missing some important points.

Back when the cars were new, a turbo vert was the most expensive Corvair... within spitting distance of a Corvette. It's not that they weren't desirable, it's
just that not many people bought them due to price, insurance, etc... could be a range of issues, but more than likely the buying decision was very different
for a Corsa turbo vert than it was for a base 500.

Very different than the reason there are so few 3sp Corsas... those weren't that common because most people wanted 4spds and were willing to pay the
option cost. But to your point, having a rarer 3 sp doesn't mean more value. People DIDN'T WANT to buy a 3sp Corsa.

The most valuable cars on the collector car market today are the rare models of the most desirable cars... whether that was due to tastes, dollars, or what-
not.

I used the Cuda before...let's talk about GTOs.

EVERYBODY wanted a GTO then and now.

The Tempest (sharing the same body) is not nearly as valuable even though many people in the 60's bought one instead of a GTO. They DIDN'T buy the
GTO, but that doesn't mean they didn't want to...then or now.

And The Judge GTO is even more rare... expensive then, expensive now... based on rariety.
And the GTO Judge convertible is priced WAY out there if you can even find one. Value due almost exclusively to rarity.

You'd think GM would have sold as many of those as they could build as well... yet they sold far more '66 Corvair turbo convertibles. Does this make the
GTO any less valuable? No way. The combination of "GTO, "Judge" and "Convertible" make for a VERY expensive and rare production car. Then and
now. But not necessary because people DIDN'T WANT to buy them, but because they DIDN'T.

But your point is valid that rariety alone does not make the value. It's the desirablity of the basic car that dictates the basic value and in most cases the
rarity adjusts that value.

Also...what was poplular THEN is not necessary what is popular NOW. (Though it's generally a good indicator...)

Overall, I think we can all agree that the Corvair is the most undervalued car on the collector market... and has been for a long time.

Bill