Fwd: <VV> overheating problem

HallGrenn@aol.com HallGrenn@aol.com
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 12:05:07 EST

In a message dated 12/11/2004 11:08:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Bonnzz@aol.com writes:

> virtualvairs@corvair.org

You've identified a lot of potential problem areas already.  When the top
cover is off be sure to block off the cold air hose opening in the middle, front
of the cover that supplies cold air to the heater mixing box (assuming you
aren't using it in Florida).  If you are using the hose then be sure the part of
the hose on the other side of the firewall isn't open.  I am also assuming you
have all six sparkplug boot plugs installed to be sure the top of the engine
is sealed.  Any air that leaks from the top of the engine will greatly reduce
the air pressure created by the fan and thus the flow over the hot parts that
need to be cool.  An old publication I once read said that if as few as two
spark plug boots were missing the engine could overheat.

If you do have gas in the oil, the friction levels and heat will go up as
well, but overheating is usually air flow related in my experience.

Bob Hall