<VV> Rarity of various Corvairs!!!! very long

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 06:08:06 -0500

On Dec 11, 2004, at 10:00 PM, Bigwave Dave wrote:

> Well after all the talk about which Corvair is rarer,

*SNIP*

Dave - your post is very interesting. I don't know anything about it's
accuracy, but for those of us who are fascinated with numbers ( like
tire diameters :-) ) it is interesting.

Now, tell me if I'm incorrect; a Loadside is a Rampside without the
ramp, right? But I seem to remember there were some Rampsides built
with a ramp on EACH side, weren't there? Weren't they built for the
city of Los Angeles' sanitation department or something? Are these
ultra-rare Corvairs omitted from everyone's list because they weren't
regular models, but specially built Corvairs? But I think they were
built and sold by Chevrolet, unlike such specialty cars as the
Stingers.

My other comment on all these production figures going around would be
to point out the difference between different Corvair MODELS as opposed
to different Corvair models with different OPTIONS. Certainly the
number of air-conditioned models or turbocharged models is interesting,
but so would be the number of red Greenbriers with campers or green
Monza sedans with white walls, tissue dispensers, and compasses.

As for Bob Dunahugh's "rarest" '69 Stinger, it, of course was built by
Don Yenko, not Chevrolet. It is no more rare than Jeff Barrett's Lost
Cause which is also a one-of-a-kind aftermarker-modified Corvair. In
fact, the 'Cause is in a way MORE rare, as there were many other
Stingers, just not '69's.

Interesting subject. Where do we stop?

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug