<VV> Sound deadening Report

Hank Kaczmarek kaczmarek@charter.net
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:55:20 -0500

For those who asked

BTW, There is nothing wrong with Dynamat, it's just REALLY expensive compared
to other stuff that is out there, and our members seem to have had good
results with it.  When on Unemployment checks, cost is more of a factor than
Usual <G>

HANK

I've used MFM Window wrap, purchased through ABC supply
(www.abcsupply.com)
It's the stuff builders use around cutouts in new construction.  Self
adhesive (ala Dynamat), asphalt fiber layer for sound deadening (ala
Dynamat), and a shiny silver foil backing (ala Dynamat).  $50 did the
whole car - 2 layers.
jeff
66 Monza vert 110 PG power top
Firstly, I used a two layer process.  The first layer is a roofing product
that is used to seal flashing etc.  I don't recall the name but it is like a
really thick duct tape only that the sticky stuff seems to be a tar-like
material and there is a metal foil backing.  The stuff comes on a roll and
it's about 6 inches wide.  It sticks like monkey shit to everything.  I
covered all exterior facing sheetmetal with this stuff.  Makes the sheet metal
really dead, no vibrations.  The doors now close with a dead clunk, no
clank\boing any more.  Sounds just like the door on my '69 Cadillac.  It's
doors probably weigh as much as my Corsa.  I did it all the way around the car
and the floor too, though I will admit I haven't quite finished just yet.  I'm
gonna install A\C and when I'm through hacking under the dash I'll finish up.
The second layer is a product called Whispermat.  It is a sound barrier.  I
can say that the only noise that one hears now is through the top plus the
standard wind noise.  BUT, one can hold a normal conversation in a normal
speaking voice at 75 on the freeway.  Or you can crank up the tunes for a
musical interlude.  I really need to drive by the tach now because if the
stereo is a bit up, I can't hear what the engine is doing in city traffic.  I
killed it many a time by not bringing the revs up high enough for a smooth
launch. Here is the Whispermat (not Whisper Matt) url.

http://www.silentsource.com/barriers-whispermatpricing.html

Jim

All,

A product that takes the cost out of the product but matches up with
Dynamat is a material called brownbread. It can found at tthis website.
I and several others in our club have used it and it works, and just
about a third the cost of Dynamat. http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html

Tom Miller

Quiet Ride Solutions has a new pattern for Corvair sound and heat insulation.
I will purchase one when the new floor panels are installed on my car. Check
out their website.

Bob Vukas
bowtieguy@cox.net

Hank, what's wrong with Dynamat?  I did the entire inside of my Corvan with
it
(which was like sitting inside a drum) and now I can carry on a normal
conversation in it on the freeway with the stereo at a reasonable level.  The
factory puts sound deadener on the roof because it acts like a big speaker
right above your head...from all the harmonics throughout a car.  A put
Dynamat throughout my 66 Corsa and it quited up considerably.  In the rear
you
put it everywhere...floor, inside the quarter window spaces, all along the
package tray area, behind the seat.  The idea is to keep every (flat) piece
of
steel from vibrating.

New cars (more upscale ones) have about 300-400lbs of sound deadening
(similar
to Dynamat) in them.  I know Dynamat is expensive, but I've found it to be
the
best.  There's 2 types: Original Dynamat and Extreme Dynamat.  The extreme
has
an aluminum sheeting that also assists as a heat barrier.  Either style, it's
worth it.

Bob in Portland

-----