<VV> Different(ial) Opinions

Tom Wright Tom Wright" <tomspost@sympatico.ca
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 23:02:40 -0500

Hi All.

I have now entered the tranny / differential realm of the 66 Corsa rebuild.
Actually, the tranny looks pretty good. The teeth are not chipped and even the
syncro's look really nice. I am taking it for a professional opinion this week
though, as I am this far into it I will replace whatever is marginal.

The differential is another story. It has (what seems to me) a fair amount of
wear on the ring and pinion. Good pattern, no sharp edges, but coast and drive
are polished up quite a bit. I am disassembling it anyway, I want to replace
the nose piece, check the bearings, replace the spider gears. I figure it to
be a 3.27 ratio (P=11, R=36), witch I thought low for a Corsa. I am planning
on 14" wheels, mostly city driving. If I have to replace the gears, what are
the opinions on rear end ratio's for this type of application? Any other
thoughts while I am this deep?

Thanks.

Tom Wright
St.Catharines