<VV> What plugs for my 140?

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:09:13 -0500

My periodic post on this issue:

This is NOT personal opinion. It is based on long experience with Corvairs and large numbers of owners and working in a Corvair only resto shop.

SOME people have NO problems running Platinums. Most people DO have issues running them.

NOBODY has any issues running the Supers.

This is the FIRST claim I've seen where someone actually claims that the Plats perfrom better... to this point every single person that had tried both and
posted have either found the Supers superior or at worst case equal.

Seeing that Supers cost 99 cents, why would anyone want to spend more money for a plug that the majority of owners have problems with? (If you DO
want to spend more money...buy NGK's... no better than the Supers, but no worse either....)

Now one of our vendors here will tell you that an iginition system in otherwise perfect order will have no problems running Plats... and he is very likely right.
What I can tell you is that an average to below average ignition system will have no problems running Supers... and that an igintion in otherwise perfect
order does not seem to benefit from running Plats.

I have long experience in running plats in other applications which are more plug sensitive than Corvairs... and can tell you overall that the Plat most often
performs the worst of any Bosch plug reguardless of the application (and I run Bosch in nearly all of my cars.)

Thomas: just out of curiosity is your ignition stock or modified? Original or restored?

Bill Elliott