<VV> What plugs for my 140?

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:13:29 -0800

At 11:42 hours 12/14/2004 -0700, Thomas Gwyther wrote:
>That is personal oppinion, I have tried both and the plantinums (w8ap) are
the best in my vair. I wouldnt run anything else.

I have to agree.   Now:    Before I start a fist fight:

I've run those strange tip platinums in several Vairs and they run fine.
They also seem to work well in engines jetted a tad rich, that tend to foul
plugs in slow traffic.   And, I recently grabbed up a few for dirt cheap
prices... something like 7.99 for a set of six.    I got two sets.    Now,
they DO look as if they appreciate hard running since by nature they're
gonna run a bit colder, or so it would seem to me, what with that lumpy
center insulator around the conductor.   But if you drive a Corvair with a
140 engine in a rather "spirited" manner, they run just fine, thanks.
Never a misfire nor a pop or sputter.   But by the very looks of them I'd
assume they're a tad cold.   The 140 hp engine gets run aggressively enough
that a cold plug seems to work out pretty well.

Now:   I have not run a set of the Platinums in a grocery-getter Vair.
I'd have to refrain from passing that particular glowing judgement until I
ran a set in something like maybe an early 80 hp or the like.

tony..