<VV> Boyles law

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson@atlas.co.uk
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:44:04 -0000

> As most of the country steps into winter, it's time to add air to all are
> car tires. You will be amazed (well, mildly amused) at the what difference
> in temperature does to tire pressure.

Thanks for the heads-up, Harry - that's a really good point (even though it
doesn't get really cold here, because of Global Warming) (;-)).

The expansion of fluids and gases is easy to overlook. I once filled my Ford
Anglia *right to* the brim with fuel on a really hot, sunny day, then drove
it 200 yards and left it parked in full sun all day. When I got back to it
there was a large pool of overflowed fuel underneath it - the expansion on
leaving the cold storage tank underground, and then sitting in full sun at
80+ degrees, was considerable.

Cheers

Alan