<VV> Re Front pump Cover

Hank Kaczmarek kaczmarek@charter.net
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 04:58:14 -0500

All

I sure wished I  had known about Smitty's trick  10 years ago.

Especially after the tounge lashing I got in this forum for complaining
about taking my PG to a mom and pop trans place a couple blocks away (who I
sent thousands of bucks of business to from my parts counter) and he took
mine off with a slide hammer and then put his paw out for 5 bucks for doing
it.

I had the unmitigated gall to expect him to do it for free after 8 full
transmission R&R's were sent to him by me.  I was told in no uncertain terms
that I was wrong to expect such courtesy.

And you know, they might have been right.  But after that incident, I sent
all my trans customers to Cottman, who not only sent me a 25.00 check for
every one I sent them, but did a clutch job in my Sprint (the Gerbil) for no
labor (I supplied the kit) and did it in 4 hours so I could keep it on the
road!!!! And of course Pop of the Mom and Pop calls 6 months later and asked
where his referrals went.  I didn't mind telling him----reach down in your
pocket for my five bucks! that's where they went!!!

Thread in your slide hammer into the cover. One pop is usually all it takes.
a full 30 seconds expended.

Craig Nicol, did you read Smitty's explanation of  his suggestion???  It
would have saved me 5 bucks, a bucket of pissed off, AND a tounge lashing!!!
Perhaps this one could find its was into the magazine for the benefit of
all!!!

One thing for sure--And nothing against the man's genius, I understood it a
bunch better than Bob Ballew's explanations of how PG's work.

Perhaps Smitty will also enlighten us as to his method for installing the
front pump seal. I know he knows how GGG

HANK

> Smitty says:
And I listened!!!