<VV> Recommendations for tires for my 64 Spyder

Joe West joew@diveaz.com
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:08:48 -0700

Hi All,

I've just about finished the undercarriage restoration of my 64 Spyder...
Front and rear suspension are now completely restored (I provided a link to
pictures of the front suspension rebuild last year) and I am pretty much on
the final stages of restoration before going to paint and body in January.

So... To the point...

I am looking to purchase a set of tires, and in my mind, I have two VERY
different options:

1.  Go with factory original style bias ply tires (650x13).
2.  Go with performance tires.

My Spyder is being restored to as close to factory condition as possible and
I am terribly torn between wanting the car to look factory stock and wanting
to drive it hard.  I've had performance tires on it for the past 15 years
and absolutely love the way the car handles with nice tires BUT, I want the
car to look factory stock.

I COULD go with two sets of tires and wheels and have the best of both
worlds, but I don't relish the idea of storing a spare set of 5 tires and
wheels.

So... To the questions (finally).

What tire would you recommend if I decide to go the factory style tire
route?  Can you recommend a specific tire manufacturer and tire?

What tire would you recommend if I decide to go the performance tire route?

My Spyder is used mostly on weekends, once per week during the weekday for
the commute to work.  There are 9 good months of driving here in Arizona and
a few months when it is flat too hot to drive the Spyder.

I appreciate the help gang!

Kind Regards,

Joe West