<VV> Recommendations for tires for my 64 Spyder

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:46:16 EST

In a message dated 12/16/2004 7:11:49 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
joew@diveaz.com writes:

So... To the questions (finally).

What tire would you  recommend if I decide to go the factory style tire
route?  Can you  recommend a specific tire manufacturer and tire?

What tire would you  recommend if I decide to go the performance tire route?

My Spyder is  used mostly on weekends, once per week during the weekday for
the commute  to work.  There are 9 good months of driving here in Arizona and
a few  months when it is flat too hot to drive the  Spyder.

If you want it to look like factory stock, there are a few wide-whitewall
tires around. Coker, etc. Of course, I wouldn't have had whitewalls on a Spyder
back then, anyway. If blackwalls are okay, and you don't need the sharp edge
of  the bias-ply tire, there are several 185-80-13 tires around, They look
pretty  much like stock and, if a good brand, will provide reasonable performance
on an  early model. (Yes - I know, Bruce, they are shorter than original). If
you  don't care about factory stock, I would suggest going to a 14"
wheel/tire. A 14  x 6" wheel in the right offset would look nice. There are even 14"
wire  caps that look about the same as your 13" originals (the two-prong spinner
 style) available. A 195-65-14 would be similar in appearance (height) at 24"
as  the 185-80-13 at 24.6" - None of the "performance" 13 inch tires are
anywhere near the correct height. There are lots of 14" wheels that will fit
your combination, with the 4 bolt, 4.5" circle pattern. - Seth  Emerson