<VV> Bonnevile Corvair RAR's

Ken Garver dunlapsville@yahoo.com
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:38:34 -0800 (PST)

The following information was sent to me by a VV's respondant.

RE: Cut down (light weight) flywheels and pressure plates are
available from most vendors for drag racing..................................

I thought that a HEAVY flywheel assembly was A GOOD THING (TY
Martha!) as there is so much weight on the rear tires that as much
kinetic energy as you can store up was needed to help break them free just off the line.  It was found that a spinning tire for about 50' was best for lower ET's, at least for Corvairs.
Didn't Dick Griffin used an extra heavy flywheel on his '64 Spyder
drag car just for this purpose?  40# sticks in my mind as the weight he
actually used.

Lighter is ALWAYS better in road racing for acceleration off the corners

...............for Bonneville heavy is good due to the rear end ratio.

This one I don't understand?
For B'ville Tom Keosababian's Corvairs both ran a 3.08:1 RAR. Why would a heavy one help here? A light one would help you accelerate faster BUT at B'ville thats not a factor. I would think that a stock one would be just fine.

The 140's and the turbos both used a flywheel that had 3 extra
lugs around the outside. Six instead of the usual three. I always thought that
that the Turbos needed it for more acc. off the line (see above
RE:kenetic energy).  Mine was really gutless out of the hole ('66 vert). They were also made out of nodular cast iron too for better grip I think.  Does anyone know what type of CI the other regular (3 lug flywheels) were made out of?

According to the booklet, The Corvair - Junkyard Primer, 2nd. ed.
The 3.08 RAR diff. was made special just for the old Mobile Oil
Economy Run. They were only made in '63 (coded "HN").  Is that indeed correct?  Does anyone have any idea how many of these they made? Does anyone have one for sale?

Regards, Ken
Glen Rock, New Jersey