<VV> towing a trailer

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:37:01 -0500

1000 lbs really isn't much... two bolts can readily handle that. Remeber they used to just strap on a hitch to the bumper and call it a Class IV hitch. I have
one of those strap-on jobbies, but the Corvair-specific hitch is a better solution and is what I use with my Corsa.

I have the same basic hitch (the kind that attaches completely to the bumper) and the person I bought it from took the additional precaution of welding it to
the bumper as well as bolting it on.  I replaced all of the bumber bolts with grade 8 hardware and used large grade 8 washers to spread the load on the
sheetmetal. I've towed well over 1000 lbs with it and have experienced no issues at all with the mechanical attachment.

I did discover that running on the interstate with a 1000lb load at 60mph would heat up the engine about 75 degrees beyond the normal cruising temps, but
never high enough to be alarming.

Engine is a 140PG hooked to a 3.55 4-speed. Wonderful for towing! Ride was very nice... due to my cut springs and stiff shocks, the ride improved with the
added weight.

Bill Elliott
Urbana, MD