Fwd: <VV> towing a trailer

HallGrenn@aol.com HallGrenn@aol.com
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 20:15:53 EST

In a message dated 12/20/04 7:49:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, mark@noakes.com
writes:

> Daves69vair@aol.com, virtualvairs@corvair.org

I have used three types of hitches--the good old Uhaul clamp-on in the '70's
(which weighed a lot by itself), the GM hitch and Clark's hitches.  I have
never liked towing anything with a hitch load of over 150 pounds as it I didn't
like the handling and braking.  In warmer weather cylinder head temps can go up
real fast so the engine has to have adequate cooling.  This means no
"lugging" and keep the revs up.  Whenever my engines started to ping I would pull off
and let it run at a fast idle to cool off the heads.  I've towed other cars,
my sisters appliances and UHaul trailers (the kind that say not to exceed 45
MPH--right!)  My '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa 140 and '68 Monza 110 PG all have
hitches, but now I only use them to tow an aluminum boat trailer with my 14'
planing hull sailboat.

Bob Hall