<VV> Sagan's 64 spyder convertible

Ruth Dorogi dfamily@cecomet.net
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:04:29 -0500

When I asked if it was "worthwhile" to restore Sagan's spyder convertible I
was referring to both restored value (64 spyder, celebrity owner) and
historical value (to the automotive community).   I guess being owned by a
celebrity such as Sagan adds relatively little (approximately 20% according to
Bill Elliott) in dollars.
 Perhaps the historical importance would be greater.  I agree with others that
it is significant to corvair owners that one of the most creative and
important scientists of the 20th century chose one of the most innovative and
creatively engineered vehicles of  that era to drive.  Maybe he just thought
it would be a fun vehicle as  he chose it over many other autos.
This vehicle is obviously not worth ($) restoring, but the same could be said
about corvairs in general.  As I pointed out in my original post I have the
facilities and skills to restore it, and that would cut the cost in half.  I'm
just not sure I have the desire or longevity to do another 4 year
restoration.  My rampside wasn't worth restoring either, but I saved the
vehicle and it is fun to drive and does very well in car shows.
I'm not encouraged or discouraged.  As my brother recently reminded me I've
never had a "real" job and have never been a practical person (sculptor,
craftsman, woodworker, 5 kids that put themselves through college, drove
corvairs cause they liked them and were cheap).  It would be neat, and I think
significant to the corvair community to restore and display the car as Carl
Sagan's Corvair (without the wooden observatory platform!!).
I honestly don't know what I'll do with the car.   But now, at least a few
more people know that Carl Sagan drove a 1964 Spyder Convertible.  Thanks.
Dennis Dorogi
1963 Rampside (nice)
1965 Monza convertible (nice)
1965 4 door (very nice)