<VV> Re: Sagan's 64 spyder convertible

Gary Swiatowy mopar@jbcs2.net
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:08:59 -0500

Being a person myself who has restored a car which was too far gone for an
intelligent person to tackle it, my 67 Dodge Coronet Convertible. I know
what it takes in time and money to do a project. I also refer you to my
Webshots album  at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/swi66  look under Leroy outing pictures
19-25 particularly picture #25. These were taken at the shop of Bill
Stroebel, he is a hobbyist who restores cars which were lost causes. The
cars pictured 19-24 were all in worse shape than the one pictured in picture
25. Bill also makes his own sheet metal as needed, he built his own english
wheel. He casts missing parts out of brass, he makes his own molds. He
builds his own wood steering wheels and spoke wheels, not only that.......he
doesn't even buy the wood, he cuts it down out of his woods, uses his own
sawmill, dries it in his own kiln, and finishes it in his own equipment. The
gas to heat the shop and fire the kiln comes from the gas well Bill dug
using a restored 1890's gas drilling rig which is still in place over the
well.  Bill is around 80 now, and from what I heard the car pictured in #25
is well on it's way to restoration.When all is said and done Dennis, it's
what you feel is worthwhile. Personally, I think it is a little further gone
than I imagined, but I know you could do it. Is it worth it? That is
completely up to you. Being once owned by Carl Sagan may add a small
percentage to its value, and will certainly make an interesting footnote to
it's history if ever completed.

Gary Swiatowy

> Subject: <VV> Sagan's 64 spyder convertible
>
> When I asked if it was "worthwhile" to restore Sagan's spyder convertible
> was referring to both restored value (64 spyder, celebrity owner) and
> historical value (to the automotive community).   I guess being owned by a
> celebrity such as Sagan adds relatively little (approximately 20%
according to
> Bill Elliott) in dollars.
>  Perhaps the historical importance would be greater.  I agree with others
that
> it is significant to corvair owners that one of the most creative and
> important scientists of the 20th century chose one of the most innovative
and
> creatively engineered vehicles of  that era to drive.  Maybe he just
thought
> it would be a fun vehicle as  he chose it over many other autos.
> This vehicle is obviously not worth ($) restoring, but the same could be
said
> about corvairs in general.  As I pointed out in my original post I have
the
> facilities and skills to restore it, and that would cut the cost in half.
I'm
> just not sure I have the desire or longevity to do another 4 year
> restoration.  My rampside wasn't worth restoring either, but I saved the
> vehicle and it is fun to drive and does very well in car shows.
> I'm not encouraged or discouraged.  As my brother recently reminded me
I've
> never had a "real" job and have never been a practical person (sculptor,
> craftsman, woodworker, 5 kids that put themselves through college, drove
> corvairs cause they liked them and were cheap).  It would be neat, and I
think
> significant to the corvair community to restore and display the car as
Carl