<VV> Corvair engine in Porsche - 1st one

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:17:58 EST

Funny, no one has yet mentioned the first Corvair engine in a Porsche.  GM
did this during the 50's with the earliest prototype Corvair engines.  Must have
been quite a ride, since even the 80 hp Corvair engines had more output than
most of the Porsche engines of the day.  (The super 90 and Carrera had more)
It's interesting to note that the original 911 motors had 110 hp.

I was thinking of putting a 3 liter Porsche engine in my 'Vair; one of these
engines can be had for about $3k, far less than the cost of building a 3 liter
Corvair engine.  Then I thought, "Why not do the trans at the same time";
that added another $1500.  Now we are at $4500.  If you consider other things
that might be needed, (EFI computer, linkage, adapters) that could easily add
another $2k. Now we are at $6500 and we haven't turned a wrench.  Hmm, for the
additional price of a paint job, I could have an acutal Porsche Targa, with a 3
liter engine - all done.  I'm looking at an '89 911 Cab right at the moment.
<ggg>

Craig Nicol
65 EO Corsa 'vert
66 Monza 140 EFI