<VV> Naked Steering Wheel

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:23:18 -0500

I need the measurement around the GRIP (circumference of the cross-section)
of the steering wheel of a late model. I can't measure mine, because it has
a cover on it that I can't get off without destroying it.
     Now, on to my real subject, which is covering the steering wheel. I've
been using Clark's very economical offering, but I prefer the leather feel
of the familiar Wheelskins product to the look and feel of the vinyl item
offered by Clark's. I just put on a Wheelskins that I ordered from a
non-Corvair vendor and it's the smallest standard size offered by
Wheelskins, but it's too big around the grip (overall wheel diameter is OK,
but grip, at 2-1/8", is too big (see first paragraph above).
     So, does any vendor offer Wheelskins or equivalent in the correct size
for Corvair? I can't find it in Clark's or Underground.
     If not, has anyone availed himself of Wheelskins' (www.wheelskins.com)
custom-size ordering facility? If so, can any such person recommend
dimensions to give them? The overall diameter of the wheel is easily
measured (I get 16.25"), but the GRIP circumference is critical.
     Thanks for answers to ANY of the questions above.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C