<VV> Re: <VV>Paint/rust question

James & Erin Marispini cyberkahuna@qwest.net
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 00:26:22 -0600

Bruce,
 from the look of those pics. it's mostly surface rust. If you treat it,
make sure to remove the moldings to treat under them. otherwise the rust
will continue festering underneath till it finaly eats through if it
hasnt already. I learned paint and body from my dad. He painted for
chevy for like 45 years. I was his helper for 10 of those years. He
always said rust IS cancer of metal. If you let it go, it continues to
grow. a TEMPORARY fix is to grind the spots and add rust treatment you
can buy off the shelf at any parts store rustoleum makes a good one for
about 5.00 a bottle napa sells a good one too I believe it's made by
permetex. then primer after treatment. if you don't wanna see rust after
a couple of months you MUST seal with a coat of paint. You can probably
find something close to your color in a spray can at any auto parts.
Enamel is a safe bet so the paint around the area doesnt lift in case a
butcher repainted it in the past with enamel.( dad always laughed at car
shows when people called theyr corvairs restored to factory specs and
then told him they used enamel!)  I know alot of folks might love the
stuff and thats great. But if you wanna say its REALLY restored then you
will paint in laquer, period. For the permanent fix before you repaint.
Grind again then checkout the new por15 products. They REALLY do work.
                                                              Jim