<VV> Windshield Washer Fluid (Now cleanser?)

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 14:29:24 EST

Hi Ken,

I think that Ron hit the nail on the head when he told us that the Bon Ami
cleanser has a soft "abrasive" in it.  The abrasive is softer than glass.  That
is not the case with most other cleansers.  I would hate to have one of our
members go to a kitchen cabinet and pull out some Ajax (or other) cleanser and
try to clean his glasses or windshield.  I was ignorant about the specifics of
Bon Ami but have seen what a regular cleanser can do to smooth finishes.  Yes,
telescope lenses are ground and eventually polished with abrasives.  To do
that job, I must assume that those abrasives are harder than the glass they are
grinding/polishing.  The operation uses finer and finer grits to get the
smooth surface.  As a pure cleaning process, I don't recommend any kind of grinding
or other procedure that might remove the base material.  I guess we all
understand now that the Bon Ami is not technically an abrasive when it comes to
glass but will abrade softer substances normally found in road grime, etc.

Doc