<VV> Re: VirtualVairs digest, Vol 1 #1514 - 13 msgs

Mikeamauro@aol.com Mikeamauro@aol.com
Sun, 26 Dec 2004 11:55:44 EST

Hank Wrote:

"> What would be the difference in a PG in an FC that was different from the
> one in a car?? Other than the mounting X member??"

Excellent question: Answer--the rear housing of a FC Powerglide contains
connection ports, and associated internal-automatic bypass valving, for the
connection to the OEM-supplied transmission oil cooler (car-type PGs do not have
such provisions). GM (apparently) felt, due to the extra weight and heat
developed with the FC application, that a transmission oil cooler would be necessary.
I can attest that my FC--even with the trains oil cooler-- before changing to
an NOS torque converter, had a tendency to heat up the fluid, and blow boiled
fluid out the vent at top of the axle. Car-type PGs can be converted to accept
an external cooler; my 67 coupe is so equipped and works well. With the
conversion, one needs to drill the rear housing and add connection fitting;
blocking off an internal passage is, also, required. Complete instructions, I
believe, appear in the Corsa Tech Guide.

Mike Mauro
64 Greenbrier Deluxe & other assorted Corvairs