<VV> Vendors disk brake kits

Rick & Janet Norris rickjanet@charter.net
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:42:59 -0500

I first installed a front disc brake kit from Clarks on my 66 V8 Vair. I
encountered a problem with the caliper hitting the lower edges of the upper
A arm when the wheel was turned far left or right. The car is lowered. I
changed to a Bob Coffin kit. It uses a smaller caliper body ( but still with
the same size piston as Clarks which is a larger caliper from an S-10 truck)
and is clocked more toward the front giving more clearance between the A arm
and caliper. I also opted for the aluminum bracket. Steel was available.
Both kits required the wheel hub outside diameter to be reduced , easily
done on a brake lathe to fit inside the disc hat area and a spacer which
requires longer wheel lug studs. Some time later (several years) I did
receive a notice from Clarks warning about the possible problem and a
solution. In my opinion the fix would work but it was not something the
average guy would be equipped to do as it required cutting and welding on
the A arm.
As with any disc/drum set up you really need a proportioning valve in the
system as the hydraulic pressure to squeeze the disc is a lot more than the
pressure to activate the drum. I also use a 7" power booster which is highly
recommended. My disc/front drums/rear brake system works very well. I have
tested them at several track events with no problems. Pictures at
http://www.corvaircorsa.com/norris12.html#1
Rick Norris