<VV> Vendors disk brake kits

AKG hdflstf@earthlink.net
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 19:28:33 -0800

Lon,

Perhaps you should re-read his questions.  Specifically he asked for "any
pointers or information" in regards to the disk brakes.  My answer was
directed at the part of his question based on my experiences.  For the sake
of completeness, Mr. Rick Norris has supplied the rest of the answers
(below) and no - it does not change the bolt pattern but the wheels will be
moved outboard by the thickness of the rotors.

The Artful Dodger

>From Rick
"I first installed a front disc brake kit from Clarks on my 66 V8 Vair. I
encountered a problem with the caliper hitting the lower edges of the upper
A arm when the wheel was turned far left or right. The car is lowered. I
changed to a Bob Coffin kit. It uses a smaller caliper body ( but still with
the same size piston as Clarks which is a larger caliper from an S-10 truck)
and is clocked more toward the front giving more clearance between the A arm
and caliper. I also opted for the aluminum bracket. Steel was available.
Both kits required the wheel hub outside diameter to be reduced , easily
done on a brake lathe to fit inside the disc hat area and a spacer which
requires longer wheel lug studs. Some time later (several years) I did
receive a notice from Clarks warning about the possible problem and a
solution. In my opinion the fix would work but it was not something the
average guy would be equipped to do as it required cutting and welding on
the A arm.
As with any disc/drum set up you really need a proportioning valve in the
system as the hydraulic pressure to squeeze the disc is a lot more than the
pressure to activate the drum. I also use a 7" power booster which is highly
recommended. My disc/front drums/rear brake system works very well. I have
tested them at several track events with no problems. Pictures at
http://www.corvaircorsa.com/norris12.html#1"

From: corvairs <lonwall@corvairunderground.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:56:20 -0800
To: AKG <hdflstf@earthlink.net>
Cc: John Sconiers <jsconiers@mac.com>, virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> Vendors disk brake kits

????????????????????  Those don't seem to be the questions he asked? Bob
sells a kit "that works" with what? Specifically Crown steering arms? We
need a more complete description of Bob's kit - and how it differs from the
"vendor" kits. Lon

www.corvairunderground.com <http://www.corvairunderground.com>

AKG wrote:
Doesn't fit well if the car is lowered and will interfere with the crown
style quick steering arms.  Bob Coffin sells a different kit that works..

The Artful Dodger

From: John Sconiers <jsconiers@mac.com> <mailto:jsconiers@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:45:18 -0600
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Vendors disk brake kits

I will be purchasing a front disk brake kit (along with dual master cyl)
from
a corvair vendor and wanted to know if any one had any pointers or
information.  specifically, did it change your bolt pattern, how hard to
find
replacement pads / rotors, installation problems, etc.