<VV> Paint and body work questions for my 64 Spyder Convertible.

Joe West joew@diveaz.com
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:52:56 -0700

Hi Gang,

I just finished  the rear suspension rebuild and my second engine rebuild
and next week the 64 Spyder convertible goes in for paint.  I have a myriad
of questions (paint and body work is a real weakness of mine) so anyway...
Here goes:

1.  If I have a choice to chemical strip or sandblast... Which is better?

2.  Any paint recommendations?  I'm looking for durable, close to factory
color (silver blue) and most likely a base coat/clear coat combination.  I
can tell the shop what to use or let them use what they want; I'd rather
hear from the experts and tell the body shop what to use.

3.  The aluminum trim is shot all the way around.  How is the reproduction
stuff (WRT quality) for 64?  I pretty much need everything!

4.  Under carriage, front and rear suspension, engine (and bay) are restored
in pretty much perfect condition... Interior is done with the exception of
the door jams and interior door metal areas.  It has been 12 or so years
since I replaced the top and it pretty well shot (no holes though).   Don't
know if these details help with any answers you may be able to provide...
But I thought I'd throw them in.

After 15 or so years, I'm pretty excited about finally finishing (or mostly
finishing) this project.  :D

Joe West