<VV> Some Corvair

Julie Loving jloving1968@earthlink.net
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:27:46 -0600

That first line should read "In my experience, 99% of the plug in heaters
DON'T do anything worthwhile."

Rick Loving
<SNIP>

Subject: RE: <VV> Some Corvair

In me experience, 99% of the plug in heaters do anything worthwhile. I've
tried a few different ones in my winter beaters over the years.  The best
solution is to get the stock heater working.  It actually works really good
once brought back up to stock spec's.

Definitely get the high volume blower motor, it makes a tremendous increase
in air flow at high speed.  I have always put one in every vair I have
owned.

I put the first once in my 63 vert over 15 years ago (no relay) and since
have added one to my last 4 vairs that drove in cold weather.  I have never
used the relay install but I always understood the risk with old wiring and
contacts.

I normally ran it on high speed until the cabin was warm or the windshield
defrosted and went to a lower setting.   If you pick one up from a FLAPS
make sure that the AC side port is sealed or it will allow road debris and
water into the motor and it will fail quickly.

Things you should do...

Make sure your lower shrouds are sealed and damper doors work
Install high volume blower with plastic fan cage
Check your heater hoses for tears or leaks
Make sure that your fresh air door is closed
Clean out the heater ducts, they are probably blocked full with insulation.

Rick Loving