<VV> Heater control cable question...

Les corvair@mts.net
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:04:38 -0600

Joe;

Ran into this myself once. Here's something you can try.

* disconnect cable at heater control. If you can do the other end as well, so much the better.
* make sure heater control and flapper valves move freely.
* get a 6" or so piece of clear vinyl tubing sized to fit over the heater cable, a couple small hose clamps, and a tire valve stem.
* clamp the tubing over the end of the heater cable - easier to do it inside the car.
* fill the tubing halfway with some very light oil (WD 40 or suchlike)
* trim the valve stem to size and clamp the valve stem in the other end of the tubing.
* put some air pressure to it (not too much!) until the oil is all gone into the cable.
* repeat until oil appears at the other end of the cable.
* work cable until it is free.
* don't make a mess!!! oil goes everywhere if the tubing detaches.....

Good luck....
Les
=============================
Message: 10
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 06:48:37 -0700
From: Joe West <joew@diveaz.com>
To: VV <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
Subject: <VV> Heater control cable question...

Hi,

After restoring my rear undercarriage (and engine) for the past two months,
I start up my Corvair for the first time with the rebuilt engine and go to
turn on the heat and discover that my heater control cable is apparently
frozen.  I didn't want to force the control because I didn't want to break
anything, but I need to get the heat working (it worked when I started
working on the Corvair two months ago).

Is there a recommended procedure for fixing frozen cables? I'm kicking
myself in the butt for not checking the cables before putting the engine
back in because I could have fixed the problem easier with the engine out
and free access to the heater flapper  :(

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Joe