<VV> (VV) Antique Auto Club

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Sun, 01 Feb 2004 23:23:01 -0800

At 2002 02/01/2004 -0600, Robert Hill wrote:
>Arjay,
>
>I am a very active member of the AACA (both nationally and local chapter)
>and have several AACA Senior Cars (including a Corvair) - I do not see the
>AACA being elitist or adverse to Corvairs by any means.  If you want more
>info, e-mail me off line and I will answer any you might have.

Do not assume that your experiences with the AACA are status quo across the
 board.  It's not like that everywhere.

You must have been fortunate to have a chapter of the AACA near you that
wasn't populated with elitists.  Not saying that all of them are like that,
but the bunch that controlled the local chapter of the AACA around here
didn't give the local Corvair chapter much respect at all and some of them
acted as if simply allowing us to participate in their functions was a
blessing that they in their generous sympathy had bestowed upon us.  They
didn't even give us a separate class, just stuck the Vairs in with the rest
of the 1960s production cars.   Nobody wanted to listen when Vair chapter
officers attended meetings and asked for a class, or did anyone listen when
suggestions for future events.  Not only did the relationship last for less
than a year, they never once acted as if they cared one bit when the
Corvair club severed ties with them and told them we'd not be participating
in any more of their events.  There were people in the AACA who were
genuine car people and who did appreciate Corvairs, but they were the
"unwashed masses" and not chapter officers.

Since then, our local Corvair chapter has not attempted to participate in
conjunction with the AACA in any event, at least as far as I am aware of...
not because of their organization but because of the lack of interest on
the part of the local AACA officers for anyone not within "their" fold.
Now, if that's not elitism I'm not sure what else to call it.

tony..