<VV> Parenting Opinions Needed <No Corvair>

BEllison@bbafiberweb.com BEllison@bbafiberweb.com
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:54:12 -0500

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I need some advice.  I'm at a cross road,
and I need to make a decision.  Willing to listen to any and all serious
ideas/comments/experiences.  Where else can I get so many varied opinions?

I don't want to bore you all with too many details, but she came to live
w/me cause her mother couldn't handle her anymore.  When she drew blood on
her step-father over the remote control, proverbial straw.  She's a handful,
but it could be worse.  Constant lies about where/when, etc.  Pits me
against her mother, and her mother believes her, but I have physical proof.
My opinion is, her mother is too much of a friend.  In fact, ex called ME to
take her, cause she couldn't handle her anymore.  Yes, she's medicated.

I rule quite sternly, as my father did, but nothing like it seems Smitty
would have done.  (Humor during trying times).  All I know how to do.
Frankly, I'm not as hard as he was, since I haven't beat her with a belt at
every big mistake.  You get put in jail for that these days.  However, I did
threaten it this morning, thanks to her recent antics.  Nothing else seems
to be helping.  Everytime I give her rope, she hangs herself.

Those of you that have grown children, and those w/o, how did you raise
them, what would you do, and how did it turn out?  Heavy handed, and they
turn out okay?  Let'em run wild/tons of freedom, and eventually they hit
bottom and bounce back up?  I would draw the line at drugs/drinking.  Even
throw her out if I had too.  Oh, and WHEN does it take affect, and they get
their sanity back?

The one rule I will NOT compromise on is school.  In SC, you can "sign out"
at 17 (stupid rule IMHO since I'm still financially and legally
responsible), which is March 19th.  I need a plan for that date, cause I
don't think she can wait another 2 months to the end of school.  She hates
me so much.  Ain't that my job tho', as Father?  <more humor>

Doing my best to guide by example,

Off list replies only.  I'm not on VV-talk.

Thanks,

Barry

Concerned Father, seeking wisdom.  (On THIS list?  Why bother - I'll be
looking a while, <insert one-liner here> heh-heh)

P.S. Installed pistons/jugs this past weekend, outside in the 50 degree
sunny weather.  Tore up one rod bearing when it slipped and rotated under
the cap side.  That was first bummer.  2nd bummer, tore up one piston when I
got the wrist pin started crooked.  CRAP!  Found replacement piston from a
box, cleaned, installed on rod, and it's for a friggin' EARLY !!!
Double-crap  !!!  I think I'll just drop the bucks for some KB pistons.
What a PITA!!!  Probably should just dump all the Corvair stuff, and use the
money for family counseling (what maybe 2 sessions?), or a lawyer to get me
out of jail when I shoot somebody.

Please note: This message may contain information which is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.