<VV> OS cylinders

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 19:55:51 EST

In a message dated 2/2/04 1:56:05 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
teshep@marshallnet.com writes:

<< Has anyone tried putting  2- .020 oversize cylinders in position #1 and #2
 and then putting 2-.030 oversize cylinders in position #3 and #4 and then
 putting 2- .040 cylinders in position #5 and #6 and then seeing if the
 engine will run??? >>

Hello Thomas,
I wonder if I might ask just why you might want to do this? There must be
some reason. It certainly would run, and probably pretty well too depending on
the compression ratios you got for each cylinder combination. I guess if it was
some kind of economic problem that prevented you from using the same
combination for all cylinders I could understand it (such as the poor college student
who got these different combinations for free) it would be understandable. But
it would disturb the senses of any Corvair mechanic to tear-down an engine and
find this combuination.
So short term, you might get some high speed vibration (did you balance all
these combinations?) but run it will, and good too. But long term, It will be
hard on the crank and maybe some other parts too probably causing a potential
to reduce the engine's life expectancy some.

But again, why would you ever want to do such a combination?
Regards,
Bob Helt